The final application deadline is FEBRUARY 15, 2022.
This includes supporting materials sent via email.
Students in their sophomore or junior years of college, with strong credentials and majoring in biology, ecology, geological sciences, civil or environmental engineering, environmental policy, marine science, chemistry, or any other environmentally-related discipline, are encouraged to apply. Participants must be a current student at a Texas college or university. All coursework must be current and complete.
HOW TO APPLY
Complete the online application and submit supporting documentation via email by the application due date. Midnight (your local time) of February 15, 2022.
Note: In addition to your current contact and biographical information, to complete the 2022 REU application you will need the following:
- Names, email addresses, and phone numbers of two faculty members at your undergraduate institution who have agreed to provide a recommendation for you to the program.
- Expected date of graduation
- GPA (out of 4.0)
- Top 3 choices of Faculty Research Projects
Upon completion of the online application, submit the following items as email attachments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please use the subject line “Applicant Last Name_2022“
- Personal Statement – Write a one-page, double-spaced statement explaining why you wish to participate in environmental science research and how such research experience would help you attain your career goals. Feel free to comment on your strengths, motivation, activities, and accomplishments. Filename: Applicant Last Name_2022_Personal_Statement.pdf
- Transcripts (an up to date unofficial copy will be accepted). Filename: Applicant Last Name_2022_Transcripts.pdf
- Letters of Recommendation. You must arrange to have your two letters of recommendation sent to us directly by your references as an email attachment to email@example.com with the subject line as “Applicant Last Name_2022_LOR_Referee Last Name.” These pdf documents must be titled as “Applicant Last Name_2022_LOR_Referee Last Name.pdf.”
Please note that if supplementary material, such as letters of recommendation, are not received by the application due date, your application may be removed from consideration.
APPLICANT REVIEW PROCESS
Application submission closes at 12:01 AM on February 16.
Note: Be sure to check spam folders after the 15th of February for notices from our program’s organizers.
Each complete application is reviewed by a committee composed of mentors with active faculty research projects. Applications are rated and selected for a Faculty Research Project based on interest and experience. At this point, the project mentor reviews the finalists’ applications, contacts references, possibly contacts applicants, and ranks those candidates.
We make an offer to the candidate who is ranked most highly by the mentor. The next 1-3 candidates become alternates. Offers will be sent via email in Mid-March 2022. Applicants will only receive one offer, but alternates will be placed on a waiting list for as many projects as is reasonable. Candidates have one week to decide whether to accept. If the candidate declines, an alternate gets an offer. Rejection notices will be sent in early April 2022.
FOR MORE INFORMATION