The final application deadline is FEBRUARY 3, 2023.
This includes supporting materials sent via email.
Students in currently in their sophomore or junior years of college, with strong credentials and majoring in biology, ecology, geological sciences, civil or environmental engineering, environmental policy, marine science, chemistry, or any other environmentally-related discipline, are encouraged to apply. Participants must be a U.S. citizen, U.S. national, or permanent resident of the United States, per National Science Foundation requirements. All coursework must be current and complete.
HOW TO APPLY
Complete the online application and submit supporting documentation via email by the application due date. Midnight (your local time) of February 3, 2023.
Note: In addition to your current contact and biographical information, to complete the 2023 REU application you will need the following:
- Names, email addresses, and phone numbers of two faculty members at your undergraduate institution who have agreed to provide a recommendation for you to the program.
- Expected date of graduation
- GPA (out of 4.0)
- Top 3 choices of Faculty Research Projects
Upon completion of the online application, submit your personal statement and transcript as email attachments to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use the subject line “Applicant Last Name_2023″
- Personal Statement. Write a 250-350 word statement explaining why you wish to participate in environmental science research and how such research experience would help you attain your career goals. Feel free to comment on your strengths, motivation, activities, and accomplishments. Filename: Applicant Last Name_2023_Personal_Statement.pdf
- Transcripts. An up-to-date unofficial copy will be accepted. File name: Applicant Last Name_2023_Transcripts.pdf
In addition, you must arrange to have your two letters of recommendation submitted by your references. You will need to provide your references’ contact information in your application. After you submit your application, your references will receive instructions and a link to upload their letter of reference. Please allow 2-3 business days after completing your application for your references to receive the link.
Please note that if supplementary material, such as letters of recommendation, are not received by the application due date, your application may be removed from consideration.
APPLICANT REVIEW PROCESS
Application submission closes at 12:01 AM on February 3.
Note: Be sure to check spam folders after the 3rd of February for notices from our program’s organizers.
Each complete application is reviewed by a committee composed of mentors with active faculty research projects. Applications are rated and selected for a Faculty Research Project based on interest and experience. At this point, the project mentor reviews the finalists’ applications, contacts references, possibly contacts applicants, and ranks those candidates.
We make an offer to the candidate who is ranked most highly by the mentor. The next 1-3 candidates become alternates. Offers will be sent via email in early March. Applicants will only receive one offer, but alternates will be placed on a waiting list for as many projects as is reasonable. Candidates have one week to decide whether to accept. If the candidate declines, an alternate gets an offer. Rejection notices will be sent in early April 2023.
FOR MORE INFORMATION