The final application deadline is FEBRUARY 1, 2018.
This includes supporting materials sent via email.
Students in their sophomore or junior years of college, with strong credentials and majoring in biology, ecology, geological sciences, civil or environmental engineering, environmental policy, marine science, chemistry, or any other environmentally-related discipline, are encouraged to apply. Participants must be U.S. citizens or permanent residents. All coursework must be current and complete.
EXPECTATIONS AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS
Program participants are expected to make a full-time commitment to the program, with on average 40 hours per week spent in the field and lab. Participants are expected to attend all program seminars and events, to complete any assignments in anticipation of and as follow-up to each of these events.
Participants must also be prepared to engage in field work may include (but is certainly not limited to) hiking, caving, camping, and boating. This field work can occur in extremely hot weather and/or inclement conditions, and can last as long as 1-2 days.
All participants must provide proof of health insurance coverage for the entire duration of the program. ESI has an additional agreement with University Health Services whereby if you need to visit them, you will be seen in Urgent Care and must be responsible for paying any related fees and follow-up costs yourself.
HOW TO APPLY
Complete the online application and submit supporting documentation via email by the application due date. Midnight (your local time) of February 1, 2018.
Note: In addition to your current contact and biographical information, to complete the Summer 2018 REU application you will need the following:
- Names, email address, and phone numbers of two faculty members at your undergraduate institution who have agreed to provide a recommendation for you to the program.
- Expected date of graduation
- GPA (out of 4.0)
- Top 3 choices of Faculty Research Projects
Upon completion of the online application, submit the following items as email attachments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please use the subject line “Applicant Last Name_REU2018″
- Personal Statement – Write a one page, double-spaced statement explaining why you wish to participate in environmental science research and how such research experience would help you attain your career goals. Feel free to comment on your strengths, motivation, activities, and accomplishments. File name: Applicant Last Name_REU2018_Personal_Statement.pdf
- Transcripts (an up to date unofficial copy will be accepted) – File name: Applicant Last Name_REU2018_Transcripts.pdf
- Letters of Recommendation. You must arrange to have your two letters of recommendation sent to us directly by your references as an email attachment to email@example.com with the subject line as “Applicant Last Name_REU2018_LOR_Referee Last Name.” These pdf documents must be titled as “Applicant Last Name_REU2018_LOR_Referee Last Name.pdf.”
Please note that if supplementary material, such as letters of recommendation, are not received by the application due date, your application may be removed from consideration.
APPLICANT REVIEW PROCESS
Application submission closes at 12:01 AM on February 2.
Note: Be sure to check spam folders after the 1st of February for notices from our program’s organizers.
Each complete application is reviewed by a committee composed of mentors with active faculty research projects. Applications are rated and selected for a Faculty Research Project based on interest and experience. At this point, the project mentor reviews the finalists’ applications, contacts references, possibly contacts applicants, and ranks those candidates.
We make an offer to the candidate who is ranked most highly by the mentor. The next 1-3 candidates become alternates.Offers will be sent via email on or before March 9, 2018. Applicants will only receive one offer, but alternates will be placed on a waiting list for as many projects as is reasonable. Candidates have one week to decide whether to accept. If the candidate declines, an alternate gets an offer. Rejection notices will be sent on or before April 2, 2018.
FOR MORE INFORMATION